Boucherville, Tuesday October 10, 2017 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Mathieu Nadeau of the Val-d’Or Foreurs for 7 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on October 8th against the Gatineau Olympiques.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- After receiving a blow to the face in the offensive zone, the player at fault returned to his bench with his stick leaning on his knees.
- When he got close to his bench, the opponent wanted to go into the offensive zone but when he arrived near the player at fault, the latter hit him with his stick in the neck without looking.
- The player at fault hit the opponent with the tip of his stick directly into the throat.
- The gesture was free and very dangerous.
- This is not the first offense of the player at fault.
- The opponent was injured on the play.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.