Arsenault suspended 5 games
Boucherville, Tuesday October 24, 2017 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Jacob Arsenault of the Moncton Wildcats for 5 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on October 22nd against the Shawinigan Cataractes.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The play was happening behind the net, while the two players involved were at the height of the face off dot.
- They were tussling, then the player at fault knocked the opponent to the ice and started to hit him.
- The player at fault punched the opponent directly in the face then the officials intervened.
- He continued and gave two to three more shots with his glove.
- The gesture was dangerous and free.
- The league does not tolerate this kind of gesture.
- This is the first offense of the player at fault.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.