Boucherville, Monday January 30th, 2017 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Raphaël Lavoie of the Halifax Mooseheads for 7 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on January 27th against the Drummondville Voltigeurs.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The opponent tried to recover the puck along the boards, at the height of the faceoff dot to the right of his goaltender.
- The player at fault left the blue line and went towards him.
- He slowed down a little and tried to hit the opponent.
- When the opponent saw the player at fault coming, he braked.
- The player at fault hit the boards, turned his back to the opponent while jumping.
- In his rotation, he struck the opponent’s head with his elbow with force.
- The opponent was injured on the play.
- This is the first offense of the player at fault.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.