Groulx scores double overtime game-winner and Halifax ties series at 1-1

Watch more on QMJHL TV >


The Halifax Mooseheads needed 89 minutes and 53 seconds to come off the game clock before they could find a way to win Game 2 of the 2019 Rogers President Cup Final on Friday night.

In the end, it was Benoît-Olivier Groulx who scored in double overtime to allow Halifax to win by a 5-4 score over the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies.

Groulx led the charge offensively for the Moose and ended his night with two goals and one assist. The other goal scorers for Halifax were Arnaud Durandeau, Keith Getson and Raphaël Lavoie.

For the Huskies, forward Félix Bibeau and captain Rafaël Harvey-Pinard had one goal and two assists apiece, while Noah Dobson had one goal and one helper of his own in the loss.

Between the pipes, the masked men were solid in the outing. Both Alexis Gravel of Halifax and Samuel Harvey of Rouyn-Noranda set new highs for shots faced during this year’s playoff run, with Gravel stopping 41 of the 45 Huskies’ shots and Harvey turning aside 49 of Halifax’s 54.

Goals were scored early and often in this one, with four of them being scored in a 3:22 span in the first period alone.

Getson got Halifax on the board first when he scored at the opening period’s 4:25 mark, but the lead was short-lived because Harvey-Pinard scored for the Huskies 70 seconds later to tie the game at 1-1.

Joël Teasdale then gave the Huskies a one-goal lead when he fired home a perfect one-timer 37 seconds later, only to see Groulx score his first goal of the game 7:47 into the first period to make it a 2-2 game.

Despite a 16-9 advantage in shots on goal by Halifax during the second period, it was Rouyn-Noranda who outscored its opponents in the middle frame.

Durandeau made it 3-2 for the Mooseheads thanks to a redirect at 6:52, only to see Dobson score on the power play just over six minutes later to tie the game again. Bibeau made it 4-3 for Rouyn-Noranda when he scored in the final minutes of the second period.

Lavoie then netted his playoff-leading 19th goal just 1:42 into the third period to tie the game back at 4-4. With both teams scoring at such a high rate, no one expected the game’s next goal would be coming nearly 50 minutes later!

Groulx finally made it 5-4 and ended the game in the second period of overtime when his low one-timer trickled past Harvey.

Both squads will now be travelling to Halifax over the weekend in order to be ready for their Game 3 matchup, scheduled for Monday at 8pm AT.




QMJHL fan? Looking for a hotel? Check out all the latest Hilton Honors offers, HERE.

More News
Golden Puck Awards: Finalists set for the Kevin-Lowe Trophy
24 hours ago
Fan of the Week | Donnie Doucette (CAP)
1 days ago
Guy-Carbonneau Trophy nominees announced
2 days ago
Our Alumni | François Beauchemin still heavily involved in hockey
2 days ago
Harvey-Pinard, Pelletier and Zavgorodniy voted Frank J.-Selke Trophy finalists
3 days ago
Fenplast Saves of the Month | March 2020
3 days ago