BOUCHERVILLE, Que. – Hockey Canada unveiled today its list of National Junior Team candidates ahead of the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship held in Ostrava and Trinec, Czech Republic, from December 26, 2019 to January 5, 2020.
From the list of players invited to attend the National Junior Team Selection Camp held in Oakville, Ontario, from December 9 to 12, you can find seven players originating from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League ranks.
- RODRIGUE, Olivier | Chicoutimi, Quebec | Moncton, Wildcats
- McISAAC, Jared | Truro, Nova Scotia | Halifax, Mooseheads
- GROULX, Benoît-Olivier | Gatineau, Quebec | Halifax, Mooseheads
- LAFRENIÈRE, Alexis | Saint-Eustache, Quebec | Rimouski, Océanic
- LAVOIE, Raphaël | Chambly, Quebec | Halifax, Mooseheads
- MERCER, Dawson | Bay Roberts, Newfoundland | Drummondville, Voltigeurs
- PELLETIER, Jakob | Quebec City, Quebec | Moncton, Wildcats
Of the group, both Lafrenière and McIsaac have a chance to return to Canada’s National Junior Team following a quarter final loss during last year’s tournament.
It is also to be noted that Brian ST-LOUIS (Hull, Quebec | Baie-Comeau, Drakkar) will be behind Team Canada’s bench as one of the team’s equipment managers, while Kyle SUTTON (New Glascow, Nova Scotia | Shawinigan, Cataractes) will be serving as one of the athletic therapists.
Canada will open the tournament on Boxing Day against the United States at 1 p.m. ET. Its preliminary-round schedule also includes games against Russia, Germany and the Czech Republic. As for the bronze and gold medal games, they will be taking place on January 5 at the Ostravar Arena.