LONGUEUIL, Que. – Hockey Canada unveiled today its list of National Junior Team candidates ahead of the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship held in Edmonton, Alberta from December 25, 2020 to January 5, 2021.
From the list of 46 players invited to attend Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp held in Red Deer, Alberta, from November 16 to December 13, you can find nine players originating from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League ranks.
- BARRON, Justin | Halifax, Nova Scotia // Halifax Mooseheads
- CORMIER, Lukas | Saint-Marie-de-Kent, New Brunswick // Charlottetown Islanders
- SPENCE, Jordan | Cornwall, Prince Edward Island // Moncton Wildcats
- BOURQUE, Mavrik | Plessisville, Quebec // Shawinigan Cataractes
- LAPIERRE, Hendrix | Gatineau, Quebec // Chicoutimi Saguenéens
- MERCER, Dawson | Bay Roberts, Newfoundland // Chicoutimi Saguenéens
- PELLETIER, Jakob | Quebec City, Quebec // Val-d’Or Foreurs
- POULIN, Samuel | Blainville, Quebec // Sherbrooke Phoenix
- SIMONEAU, Xavier | Saint-André-Avellin, Quebec // Drummondville Voltigeurs
Of the group, only Dawson Mercer has a chance to return to Canada’s National Junior Team following a gold medal win at last year’s tournament, while Jakob Pelletier is attending his second straight Selection Camp.
Team Canada regulars Brian ST-LOUIS (Hull, Quebec // Baie-Comeau Drakkar) and Kevin ELLIOTT (Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island // Charlottetown Islanders) will be behind Team Canada’s bench as one of the team’s equipment managers and athletic therapists, respectively.
Despite the tournament kicking off on Christmas Day for a rare time this year, Canada will be opening its preliminary round play on Boxing Day, in a matchup against Germany scheduled for 6 p.m. ET.