BOUCHERVILLE, QC— The Commissioner of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Gilles Courteau, announced today his decision involving Ostap Safin (99-02-11) after the Halifax Mooseheads requested a review of the trade.
The trade between the Saint John Sea Dogs and the Halifax Mooseheads which was approved by the League on September 24, 2018 is maintained, but the compensation is changed to the following:
- Halifax’s 1st round pick in 2020 sent to Saint John in the trade is returned to Halifax by Saint John;
- Halifax will send its 1st round pick in 2021 to Saint John;
- Saint John’s 4th round pick in 2021 sent to Halifax is returned to Saint John;
- Saint John will send its 4th round pick in 2020 to Halifax.
The Commissioner based his decision on a few factors:
- The physical condition of the player at the time of the trade;
- The discussions which were held between the parties about the health status of the player before the trade;
- The number of games missed by the player to date;
- The current physical condition of the player;
- The uncertainty surrounding the possibility that the player might play or not for Halifax for a part or the rest of this season.