Boucherville, Tuesday October 24, 2017 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Jeffrey Truchon-Viel of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan for 4 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on October 21st against the Val-d’Or Foreurs.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The opponent was in control of the puck as he entered the zone on the right side.
- He then cut towards the middle near the blue line.
- When he saw the player at fault coming, he lost control of the puck.
- The player at fault was back checking.
- He headed towards the opponent and hit him.
- The player at fault slowed down a bit and then propelled himself and hit the opponent with force.
- He hit the opponent’s body and head simultaneously with his shoulder.
- At the moment of contact, his two skates were no longer touching the ice surface.
- This is not the first offense of the player at fault.
- The opponent was injured on the play.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.