Thompson suspended 3 games
Boucherville, Tuesday February 20, 2018 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Will Thompson of the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies for 3 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on February 17th against the Saint John Sea Dogs.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The opponent redirected the pass from a teammate in the opponent’s endzone.
- The player at fault immediately went towards him and completed his check.
- The player at fault’s shoulder hit the opponent’s jaw.
- Even if this is a hockey play, the player at fault, skating forward to hit an opponent who does not see him, puts himself in a precarious position.
- This is not the first offense of the player at fault.
- The opponent was injured on the play.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.