Sylvestre suspended 5 games
Boucherville, Monday February 12, 2018 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Gabriel Sylvestre of the Moncton Wildcats for 5 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on February 8th against the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The puck is sent Moncton’s territory for icing but the opponent got there first and canceled it.
- He recovered the puck but then lost control of it.
- The player at fault went towards him and hit him.
- The player at fault and the opponent arrived from opposite directions.
- The player at fault propelled himself and hit the opponent’s head with his elbow.
- This is a dangerous gesture that has no place in our sport.
- This is not the first offense of the player at fault.
- The opponent was not injured on the play.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.