Boucherville, Tuesday December 5, 2017 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Simon Chevrier of the Baie-Comeau Drakkar for 5 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on December 2nd against the Sherbrooke Phoenix.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- Sherbrooke was in possession of the puck in the neutral zone.
- The opponent skated with the puck and at the height of the red line, he shot it behind the net.
- While the player at fault was back checking, he went towards the opponent and hit him.
- The player at fault came from behind and from the blindside.
- He propelled himself and struck the opponent with force simultaneously to the body and the head.
- His forearm and elbow reached the opponent’s head.
- The hit was very dangerous and to a player in a vulnerable position.
- This is the first offense of the player at fault.
- The opponent was injured on the play.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.