Boucherville, Friday February 5th, 2016 – The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, suspended Daniel Del Paggio for 3 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on February 3rd against the Moncton Wildcats.
Here is the rationale that led to the decision:
- The left defenseman dumped the puck along the boards in the offensive zone.
- The opponent recovered the puck at the height of the faceoff dot along the boards and immediately redirected it in the corner behind him.
- The player at fault was in the crease.
- He headed towards the opponent and hit him.
- The hit was late and the opponent was no longer in possession of the puck.
- The player at fault propelled himself at impact and hit the opponent’s head with his elbow along his body.
- Upon impact, both skates were not touching the ice surface.
- The opponent was in a vulnerable position.
- Even if he raised his hands to protect himself, he still suffered a blow to the head.
- He tumbled and fell heavily on the ice.
- The opponent suffered a minor injury on the play.
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.