Inside the Numbers ahead of weekend #5
This week, Inside the Numbers is taking an in-depth look at the incredible start of the season enjoyed by some QMJHL defencemen, including David Noël of the Val-d’Or Foreurs. At his actual rate, the latter has a potential 40-goal season in his sights!
THE MOST PRODUCTIVE DEFENCEMEN
- David Noël (Foreurs | Val-d’Or) – The 18-year-old fifth round selection of the St-Louis Blues in 2017 has been impressive. With 12 points in 10 games, he is leading the Val-d’Or Foreurs in that category. His powerful slapshot, a weapon that has already led him to score six goals, seems to be intimidating QMJHL goalies.
- Over in Val-d’Or, hopes are that Noël will be able to eclipse Sébastien Bisaillon’s historical season, one in which he scored 35 goals back in 2005-06.
- Noël’s head coach, Mario Durocher, hasn’t hesitated in comparing the young defenceman to Brent Seabrook at the same age. Durocher coached Seabrook with Team Canada at the 2004 World Juniors. « He had a powerful slapshot and, like David, he needed to work on his physical play at that time», he remembers.
- Olivier Galipeau (Saguenéens | Chicoutimi) – The 20-year-old veteran has enjoyed a succesful run over his last five games as he’s had three multi-point games, for a total of seven points. Galipeau is among the league’s top defencemen in many statistical categories this season thanks to his five goals, six assists, a +7 differential, 47 shots on goal and 22 hits.
- Noah Dobson (Titan | Acadie-Bathurst) – Of the 11 helpers Dobson has in 2017-18, seven were amassed while playing at even strength, tops among the league’s defencemen. Even though he’s still looking to net his first goal of the year, Dobson has registered 46 shots on goal, the second most by a defenceman.
- Thomas Grégoire (Phoénix | Sherbrooke) – Grégoire reached the 100-career-points in the QMJHL plateau in a brilliant manner; by collecting three helpers in a win over Drummondville on the 14th of October. With 11 helpers in 12 games, Grégoire is tied with Dobson atop the QMJHL in that category.
A FLAMBOYANT ROOKIE
- Pier-Olivier Lacombe (Olympiques | Gatineau) – A 13th round selection in 2015, he’s been a true revelation for the Olympiques! The defenceman has totaled 11 points in 10 games this season, most of any rookie blueliner. Last Wednesday, he put his name on the scoresheet for a sixth consecutive game by amassing three points.